Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Challenge: Tartine

This is Tartine.


It's only 8 o'clock in the morning, so that's why there's no line out the door yet.

This is a morning bun from Tartine.


You cannot order more than six of these, or the baker-hipsters will get grumpy. Take my word for it. They might still give them to you, but they'll be grumpy about it. Just wanted to give you fair warning.

This is a loaf of bread from Tartine.


You cannot get these at the same time of day as the morning buns. These come out of the oven at 5 o'clock each afternoon, and require a separate visit. Yes, it's worth it.

Together, both of these are why Tartine is one of the few establishments in San Francisco to get not one, but two mentions on 7x7's 100 Things to Try Before You Die list.

This is the Tartine cookbook.

My friend Malavika gave me this cookbook for my birthday. Moments like this make it clear to me why I am friends with Malavika (along with similar sentiments towards ponies, milk tea, and reading in cafés). Tartine's piece de resistance, the morning bun, is NOT included in the cookbook. Which is actually okay, because it means you can have more early morning Tartine dates with your friend Malavika.

This is my favorite bakery in San Francisco.

This is why I go to spin class three days a week (and yet somehow never emerge looking quite like Kate Bosworth).

Tartine. Je t'adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment